3km – 1.9 miles Difficulty – Easy
This walk starts on the South Downs Way and takes you on a short loop heading south off the South Downs Way, then east briefly before heading north and re-joining the South Downs Way. There are plenty of spectacular views across the South Downs National Park and this is usually a very quiet route.
There is free parking at Chantry Post, which can be accessed by following Chantry Lane all the way to the top which brings you out at the car park, located on the South Downs Way. Chantry Lane leads off from the A283 just outside of Storrington village. what3words location – ///candle.pacemaker.flatten
Download walk directions as PDF
1. From the car park, head through the following gate which heads south away from the South Downs Way.
2. As soon as you pass through the gate, take the path leading off diagonally to the left.
3. Continue on this path as it passes through the wheat field.
4. Eventually you will reach the signpost shown below at the bottom of the field. After passing the wooden post, take a left and continue on this path.
5. The path will shortly bend round to the right – continue to follow this path.
6. As you continue down the path, you will then reach another signpost as shown below. Take the path leading off to the left by passing through the gate.
7. Continue on this path as it descends before rising up again. Shortly you will reach the signpost shown below, at which point take a left and follow the path as it starts to gently climb. Keep on this path for a while.
8. At the top of this path, pass through the gate and immediately take a left. You are now on the South Downs Way. Keep on the South Downs Way which will take you back to the car park.
Join us on Instagram. Share and tag us at @discover_sussex