Amberley – Greatham – Rackham Circular Loop
Distance – 9.5km – 5.9 miles Difficulty – Easy
Parking: There is free on-street parking on East Street, Amberley, what3words – ///plates.send.conceals
Pub: The Black Horse pub in Amberley
This walk starts in Amberley and takes you on a beautiful circular loop through the Amberley Brooks, down to Greatham, over to Rackham and back up to Amberley. This is one of our favourite walks as it takes you through different terrains and there are plenty of stunning views. It also starts and ends at The Black Horse pub in Amberley, which is one of my favourite pubs, and is a great place to grab some food or a drink at the end of the walk!
2. Continue down Hog Lane, until the lane starts to bend towards the left. Here there is a gravel path leading downhill to the right. Follow this path down, past the house on the left. Continue through the gate and across the Amberley brooks.
3. Continue on the path for a while, eventually passing through another gate.
4. Follow the signposts which lead you to a path with fields either side, often with cows in. Continue straight on this path as it slowly descends to a farm. Take the path on the left before you reach the farm which takes you down to a stile. Head over the stile, where the path then continues next to the River Arun.
5. Continue on the path, with the river to your left until you reach Greatham Bridge (perfect spot for a picture!). Head over the stile and onto the road at which point, take a right and continue along the road. Unfortunately, there are not many other alternatives but to continue along this road for a while. Follow the road past the Greatham red telephone box.
6. When you reach the house with the red post-box outside and the black and white sign pointing right to Rackham and Amberley, take this road to the right (Greatham Road).
7. Towards the end of the lane, take a right leading into the woods. Follow the path through the woods, until you reach a small bridge leading off to the right, where the path continues round to the left. Cross over the bridge, following the path until you reach a large open field. Continue following the path taking you through the centre of the field until it brings you out onto the road.
8. Once you reach the road, take a right and follow this road until you reach The Black Horse, where the walk ends.
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Join us on Instagram. Share and tag us at @discover_sussex