Difficulty: Intermediate, Distance: 32K – 20 miles
This West Sussex cycle route starts in the village of Ashington and completes a loop, passing by Wiston, Ashurst, Dial Post, and West Chiltington.
This is a relatively flat route and is popular with Sussex cyclists due to it being mainly on quieter roads, passing through some lovely Sussex villages!
1. Starting in Ashington, head South passing the Red Lion on your right. Continue over the small roundabout and continue on the road as it passes under the A24. Follow this road for a while until you reach Spithandle Lane on the left. Continue down Spithandle Lane until you reach the main road (B2135).
2. Here turn right and continue along the road as it slowly inclines. At School Lane, turn left and continue along this lane. Keep left on this road when there is the option to turn right taking you onto Honeybridge Lane. Follow Honeybridge Lane all the way to the A24.
3. Cross over the A24 (note there is no crossing here so take care) taking the road that is opposite (slightly to the right). This road continues into Dial Post and passes the green and The Crown Pub. Just after passing the pub, take Swallows Lane to the left. Follow this road for a while, where eventually you will reach a triangle. Instead of following the road as it bends right, cross over the triangle and carry straight on, following the sign to Coolham/ Thakeham.
4. Continue on this road for a while as it bends first to the left and then to the right, continuing to follow the signs to Coolham/ Thakeham. After following the road as it bends right, continue straight on and then take a slight left down Sincox Lane.
5. Follow Sincox Lane until it meets the main road (B2139), at which point turn left. Continue along this road heading straight at the crossroads and then turn right down West Chiltington Road (or follow the signs for Kinsbrook Vineyard). Continue down West Chiltington Road and on the left is Kinsbrook Vineyard which makes a great coffee stop with beautiful views across the vines!
6. After passing the vineyard, continue on the road as it climbs up a short steep hill. Begin descending the hill and then turn left just before the West Chiltington sign, down Sinnocks. Continue down this road for a while, eventually passing the Five Bells Inn on your right. Keep right after passing over the small bridge and continue on this road as it gently ascends. When the road meets another road, turn left following the sign to Storrington/ Worthing and then shortly after continuing on this road, turn left again down Greenhurst Lane.
7. Continue down Greenhurst Lane, until you reach a T-junction. Turn right and continue on the road as it heads uphill. Turn left at the top of the hill down Merrywood Lane and follow this road to the end. At the T-junction, turn left and then almost immediately turn left again down Newhouse Lane.
8. Continue down Newhouse Lane for a while, keeping left at the triangle and follow this road as it eventually leads up a steep incline to Warminghurst Church. At the Church, turn right and follow the road as it heads downhill. This road eventually comes out on Merios Way, at which point turn left and follow this road back to Ashington village.
Join us on Instagram. Share and tag us at @discover_sussex